Bibliography: orchard guides, research and downloads
Information and practical guides
- + Pruning
- + Grafting
- + Orchard tasks and management
- + Orchard fruit
- + Orchard health, pests and disease
- + Orchard wildlife
- + Protecting orchards
Research and publications
- + General
- Orchards in the National Trust: An Overview of their History, Economics, Wildlife & People Paper prepared for the Sheffield Conference
- Traditional Orchard Project in England: The creation of an inventory to support the UK Habitat Action Plan The People’s Trust for Endangered Species, supported by Natural England, has created a provisional inventory of traditional orchards throughout England.
- Traditional Orchard Habitat Inventory of Wales The People’s Trust for Endangered Species was commissioned by Countryside Council for Wales to produce a comprehensive inventory and geographical map of the traditional orchard priority habitat in Wales. This report documents that process, and presents and discusses the results.
- + Fruit ID books
Many old books can be fully searched, read and browsed on Google Books or the Biodiversity Library
Author Title Published Joan Morgan The Book of Pears: The Definitive History and Guide to Over 500 Varieties 2015 Michael Clark Apples – A Field Guide 2015
James Evans and Mary Martin A Cornish Pomona: A selection of West Country apple varieties 2015 Charles Martell Native Apples of Gloucestershire 2014 Michael Hennerty The Heritage Apples of Ireland 2014 Tom Burford Apples of North America 2013 Charles Martell Pears of Gloucestershire and Perry Pears of the Three Counties 2013 Liz Copas Cider Apples – The New Pomona 2013 Daiv Sizer A Guide to Damsons 2013 Andrew Mikolajski The Illustrated World Encyclopedia of Apples 2012 Creighton Lee Calhoun Old Southern Apples 2010 East Malling Research for Defra Fingerprinting the National Apple and Pear Collections
Project Code GC0140 – Final Report
2010 Michael Porter Welsh Marches Pomona 2010 Rosie Sanders The Apple Book 2010 Simon Clark Apple Identification using the method developed by Marlaud (2004) 2009
Hawthorne, Laver & Gillespie et al. The Northern Pomona 2007 Joan Morgan & Alison Richards The New Book of Apples 2002 Martin Crawford Directory of Apple Cultivars 2001
Jim Arbury and Sally Pinhey Pears 1997 John Bultitude Apples – A Guide to the Identification of International Varieties 1983 Muriel Smith A Catalogue of the Plums at the National Fruit Trials 1978 Muriel Smith National Apple Register of the United Kingdom 1971 Ray Williams and Robin Child Identification of Cider Apples 1965 H.V. Taylor Plums of England 1949 H.V. Taylor Apples of England 1948
3rd Edition (Rev)
U. P. Hedrick The Pears of New York 1921 Edward A Bunyard A Handbook of Hardy Fruits – Apples and Pears 1920 U. P. Hedrick The Cherries of New York 1915 U. P. Hedrick The Plums of New York 1911 S. A. Beach Apples of New York 1905 Bull, Hogg, and Bulmer
AE Ellis and EE Bull et al.
The Herefordshire Pomona
and on CD Marcher Apple Network
1885 (CD:1987) Robert Hogg The Fruit Manual 1884 5th Edition 2002 reprint John Scott Scott’s Orchardist 1878
André Leroy Dictionaire de Pomologie (pears) 1867 George Lindley A Guide to the Orchard and Kitchen Garden 1831 Hugh Ronalds Pyrus malus Brentfordiensis 1831 William Hooker Pomona Londinensis 1818
- + Orchard books
- Many old books can be fully searched, read and browsed on Google Books or the
Author Title Published Chloe Ward How to Prune an Apple Tree: A guide for real people with imperfect trees 2014 Jane McMorland-Hunter Quinces: Growing and Cooking 2014 Brian Short Apples & Orchards in Sussex 2012 Angela King and Sue Clifford Community Orchards Handbook 2008 Ida Fabrizio Protecting Our Orchard Heritage 2008 Angela King and Sue Clifford The Apple Source Book: Particular uses for diverse apples 2007 Common Ground The Common Ground Book of Orchards 2000 Pub. Geerings of Ashford The Brogdale Apple and Pear Recipe Book 1996 H. Frederick Janson Pomona’s Harvest 1996 Ill. Geraldine Bracey. Pub. Common Ground Apple Games and Customs 1996 Janet Hazen Pears: A Country Garden Cookbook 1994 C.R.Thompson The Pruning of Apples and Pears by Renewal MethodsTITLE 1949 R.J. Garner The Grafter’s Handbook 1947 Raymond Bush Tree Fruit Growing 1946 Thomas Baffett The Compleat Planter and Cyderist 1690
- + Evaluating orchards
- Economic, biodiversity, resource protection and social values of orchards: A study of six orchards by the Herefordshire Orchards Community Evaluation Project Natural England publication on the benefits of orchards over and above the fruit they supply
- Windfall: putting a value on the social and environmental importance of orchards Based on research conducted by Dave Marshall of the Bulmer Foundation for Forum For The Future
- An estimate of carbon storage in orchards in Herefordshire Research by Bangor University
- + Biodiversity (General)
- Biodiversity Studies of Six Tradition Orchards in England The results of research commisioned by English Nature (now Natural England)
- Woodpeckers ID guide – survey form from Herefordshire Biodiversity Partnership which contains a useful ID guide to woodpeckers.
- + Plants
- Mistletoe; a brief overview of it’s status with recent oberservations on its insect associations and conservation problem A paper by Jonathan Briggs
- Lichen ecology in traditional orchards Article in the Hertfordshire Naturalist
- + Invertebrates
- Noble Chafer Survey Carried out by the People’s Trust for Endangered Species as part of the National Trust’s Conserving & restoring Traditional Orchards, England Project.
- Mollusca & Diatom Survey of Five Orchards in Norfolk Part of the Norfolk County Council’s Biodiversity Programme, which is linked to the East of England Apples & Orchards Project
- Survey for the Mistletoe Marble Celypha woodiana by Mark Parsons (Butterfly Conservation) and James mcGill
- An update on the Mistletoe Marble Celypha woodiana – an update Parsons & MsGill (2010) Entomologist’s Rec. J. Var 122
- Colwall Orchards Invertebrate Survey A report for the Colwall Orchard Group (Herefordshire) by Dr Keith Alexander (2009)
- Insect pollination enhances fruit quality andeconomic value Research examining the influence of insect pollination services on yield and quality of fruit. M.P.D. Garratta, T.D. Breezea, N. Jennerb, C. Polcec, J.C. Biesmeijerc,d, S.G. Potts (2014)
- A guide to managing orchards for Bumblebees PDF produced by the Bumblebee Conservation Trust
- + Agri Environment Schemes
- + Funding
- Fundraising for your Orchard– PDF Presentation (Becky Sejournant, National Trust)
- + Events & Interpretation
- + Orchard Produce
Cash in the Orchard
The information given here relates to the ‘Cash in the Orchard’ workshops held in Broadclyst, Devon on the 25th & 26th November 2010. The focus of the workshop was to explore the options for making Traditional Orchards sustainable. The day consisted of speaker presentations, case studies, activities and a field visit. The speakers and topics covered were varied, reflecting the many facets of Traditional Orchards and the many ways in which we benefit from them.
The workshop formed part of the Conserving & Restoring Traditional Orchards, England Project – jointly funded by the National Trust and Natural England’s Countdown 2010 Fund.
We are happy for the information to be shared widely, but ask that the relevant authors/organisations are fully acknowledged where appropriate.