Orchard Survey Questionnaire
Traditional orchards are wildlife havens. Alarmingly we have lost 90% of this precious habitat since the 1950s. You can play a vital role in finding and studying traditional orchards to preserve these special places
In order to save traditional orchards, and the thousands of species they support, we need to know what is left and their condition. With the help of wildlife lovers and conservationists across the UK we have been seeking, mapping and surveying traditional orchards since 2007.
So far we have been able to assess that in England only 9% of sites are in excellent condition, 45% good and 46% poor. For Wales 7% are excellent, 58% good and 35% poor. View the reports of the initial mapping projects for England and Wales in our wildlife reports section.
Locating and mapping landscape features is not without problems. Orchards recorded on pre-existing maps do not tell us their age, type, or condition, many are not marked at all, and many have been lost, so we use a variety of external data sources such as current aerial photographs, historical maps, and partner project data to help us create an updated inventory.
We need your help across England and Wales to visit these sites and tell us if they still exist and help gather additional information that enables us to assess their condition and protect them for future generations.
Tell us about an orchard you own or know about
- If you know about, manage, or have your own orchard in the UK please complete and return the form below.
- To tell us of other traditional orchards email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7062 8618 with details (if no answer try 020 7498 4533).
Applying for an orchard improvement grant
- You will need to fill in the questionnaire in order to apply for a grant. If the grant is for an existing orchard then fill out as normal. If it is for a new community orchard, fill it out as best you can, using the ‘other comments’ box as part of the description – we need to be able to locate and map the orchard site.
- Please note, grants are not available for new private orchards.
Be an active volunteer for PTES: do orchard surveys in your local area
- Please email email@example.com or call 020 7498 4533 to request an orchard survey pack. You will receive a printed pack containing clear survey instructions, a tree ID guide, and a map of around 15 – 20 orchard sites in your local area or an area of your choice.