PTES is calling on supporters to urge their MPs to support an early day motion to debate a ban on global wildlife trade in parliament. The global wildlife trade can be cruel and is a hotbed for emerging infectious diseases like COVID-19. The Coalition to Ban Wildlife Trade campaign, led by World Animal Protection and supported by PTES and other charities, wants the UK to lead a worldwide drive to halt the trade. Please join us in demanding a solution to the global wildlife trade. Now.
Ask your local MP to support our campaign to end the global wildlife trade
With the G20 meeting of global leaders in November fast approaching, we urgently need your help to push the UK Government into action.
On Wednesday 21 October, one month before the G20 Leaders Summit, the campaign coalition is hosting a virtual Parliamentary to make sure the government gets a clear message from MPs that they support an end to the global wildlife trade. MPs listen to you, their constituents, and your voice can really make a difference in this urgent campaign. Please take a minute to ask your local MP to attend the event and show their support for our campaign.
- use the search facility to find out who your local MP is and what their email address is
- compose a new email using the text below
- mail your MP asking them to back an early day motion
Email to MPs
Dear [your MP’s name],
I believe COVID-19 is a wakeup call for the world and the case for a global wildlife trade ban has never been more urgent. Like SARS, Ebola and MERS before it, COVID-19 is believed to have passed from wildlife to humans. The exploitation of wildlife has increased throughout human history, leading to biodiversity loss and extinctions. We are now at a turning point where humans have exploited such a large quantity of wildlife that the rate of biodiversity loss has accelerated so sharply that is no longer sustainable for wildlife and our planet.
I am therefore supporting PTES, World Animal Protection and the Campaign to End Wildlife Trade, a coalition of 25 of the UK’s leading animal protection and wildlife conservations groups, who collectively represent millions of supporters, in calling on the UK government to #EndWildlifeTrade at the G20 meeting of global leaders in November.
As my MP, this is why it’s more important than ever for you to show active and urgent support for this campaign on my behalf, and hold the G20 to account, by:
- Joining the Campaign to End Wildlife Trade’s online Parliamentary reception on Wednesday 21 October, taking place between 1 and 2pm with a keynote speech and Q&A with Lord Goldsmith. For more information, visit worldanimalprotection.org.uk/EndWildlifeTradeG20
- Signing EDM #837 – The global wildlife trade and prevention of future zoonotic pandemics: https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/57422/the-global-wildlife-trade-and-prevention-of-future-zoonotic-pandemics
- Writing to the Prime Minister to highlight your support for a strong Leaders communique that includes language on pandemic preparedness and the link with wildlife trade, ahead of the G20 meeting of global leaders in November.
Thank you for your support. Together we can end the global wildlife trade.
Stay up to date with our campaigns by signing up to our newsletter, Wildlife World below.