Join our Living with Mammals survey
Each spring we need your help to find out how our wild animals use the urban environment and the green spaces within it.
Wherever we live in the UK, we share the green spaces around our homes and places of work with wild species. By carefully identifying and counting the mammals that live in and around built up land, we can begin to understand – and encourage – the biodiversity on our doorstep.
Understanding how the wildlife in our towns and cities is faring is essential if we’re going to improve the lot of our wild neighbours and that of ourselves too.
Take part in Living with Mammals next spring
The survey runs every April till June, so has finished for this year. All you need to do is keep an eye out each week for eight or more of the 13 weeks (they needn’t be all together) , recording the mammals you see and any signs they might leave behind, such as droppings or footprints.
Revisit this page next spring to take part online
or contact us for postal survey pack (including full instructions, survey forms and a Spotting Wild Mammals guide) by emailing LwM@ptes.org or calling us on 020 7498 4533.
To take part, you can chose any site – a garden or allotment, a local park or other green space – that’s convenient to spend a little time at each week. The site must be within 200 metres of a building. Any questions? Just email LwM@ptes.org with your queries or call us on 020 7498 4533.
You can also:
- Download your guide to spotting wild mammals
- Join us on our Facebook and Twitter pages to swap tips and share sightings with others throughout the year.
- Read our health and safety guidelines for volunteers.
What have you helped us find out so far?
Living with Mammals began in 2003 and, to date, around 8,000 surveys from over 3,000 sites have been completed. Read more about what we have found out with the help of our nationwide volunteers by clicking on the links below.
- Living with Mammals update 2015
- Living with Mammals update 2014
- Living with Mammals update 2013
- Living with Mammals update 2012
- Living with Mammals update 2011
- Living with Mammals update 2010
- Living with Mammals update 2009
- Living with Mammals update 2008
- Living with Mammals update 2007
- Living with Mammals update 2006
- Living with Mammals update 2005
- Living with Mammals update 2004
- Living with Mammals update 2003
Ways to help...
Share with others
to help bring the wild back to life.
Make a donation
Our essential wildlife surveys cannot take place without your support.Please donate