- This event has passed.
Healthy hedgerows: from the individual hedge to the landscape-level – 19th January 2023
January 19 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Date: 19th Jan
Despite their humble appearance, healthy hedgerows support much of Britain’s wildlife, from winter visitors like fieldfares and redwings, to bats, butterflies and hedgehogs. They also quietly provide many different ecosystem functions and services, including flood control, carbon storage and pollination. Yet, to keep hedgerows healthy and providing this multitude of benefits to wildlife and humans long into the future, they need careful management.
This talk will cover:
- The importance of hedgerows to wildlife
- Key ecosystem services and functions provided by hedges
- Features of a healthy hedge
- The natural hedgerow lifecycle (based on the hedgerow management 10 point scale developed by Nigel Adams)
- An introduction to the Healthy Hedgerows app
- Hedgerow management from the individual hedge to the landscape-level
If you aren’t able to attend this online session but you are part of a group that would be interested in a hedgerow training session, please contact Hedgerows@ptes.org for more information.