Living with Mammals
Each spring we need your help to find out how our wild animals use the urban environment and the green spaces within it.
Wherever we live in the UK, we share the green spaces around our homes and places of work with wild species. By carefully identifying and counting the mammals that live in and around built up land, we can begin to understand – and encourage – the biodiversity on our doorstep.
Keeping track of wildlife in surveys such as Living with Mammals is essential – not only to improving the lot of our wild neighbours, but to improving our own as well.
Take a look at what you helped us find out in our Living with Mammals update 2015.
All you have to do is spend some time observing a chosen site, such as your garden or allotment or local churchyard or park, noting any mammals you see or the signs they leave behind. Your ‘urban’ site must be within 200 metres of a building. Jot down your sightings for eight or more weeks in the survey period (they needn’t be all together) and tell us what you see.
Take part in 2016 survey
The survey period runs from the end of March to the end of June but you only need to survey for 8 or more weeks in this time.
You can also:
- Download your guide to spotting wild mammals
- Join us on our Facebook and Twitter pages to swap tips and share sightings with others throughout the year.
- Read our health and safety guidelines for volunteers.
Any questions? Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with your queries or call us on 020 7498 4533.
What have you helped us find out so far?
Living with Mammals began in 2003 and, to date, around 8,000 surveys from over 3,000 sites have been completed. Read more about what we have found out with the help of our nationwide volunteers by clicking on the links below.
- Living with Mammals update 2015
- Living with Mammals update 2014
- Living with Mammals update 2013
- Living with Mammals update 2012
- Living with Mammals update 2011
- Living with Mammals update 2010
- Living with Mammals update 2009
- Living with Mammals update 2008
- Living with Mammals update 2007
- Living with Mammals update 2006
- Living with Mammals update 2005
- Living with Mammals update 2004
- Living with Mammals update 2003
Ways to help...
Share with others
to help bring the wild back to life.
Make a donation
Our essential wildlife surveys cannot take place without your support.Please donate