Egremont Russet, the most well known russet in the world, is thought to have been raised by Lord Egremont in the late 1870s at Petworth.
Sussex orchard groups
To find community orchards local to you, see our community orchard map
- Brighton Permaculture Trust – Sussex has a long history of orchards with many varieties hailing from the area. BPT’s Sussex apple orchards have been recognized as a National Collection by Plant Heritage. They have planted over 3700 trees in a single year in school and community orchards across the two counties.
- Chichester District Council has been supporting community orchards in the district since 2000, and has been able to help set up a number of orchard projects including many school orchards and produce aGuide to setting up and managing a Community Orchard.
Where to buy trees in Sussex
- Arundel Arboretum – stocks a large selection of fruit trees including: Apple, Cherry, Damson, Fig, Gage, Walnut, Medlar, Pear, Plum
- Perryhill Nurseries – has around 15 apple varieties plus medlar, mulberry, pear, plum, quince and other fruit. Perryhill Nurseries, Edenbridge Road, Hartfield TN7 4JP. 01892 770377
Where to buy orchard produce in Sussex
- Dreymans & Homegrown Hunnys produce cider with a blend of apples, applying a natural approach. They also make mead and other produce such as jams, pickles and cider vinegar.
- Kent & Sussex Apple Juice and Cider Centre, Perryhill Orchard, Edenbridge Road, Hartfield. Farm shop which has a large range of apple juice and some ciders.
- Middle Farm, Lewes – Visitors can taste, compare and buy from a range of over 100 different draught ciders and perries (including their own Pookhill Cider). Also stock meads, country wines and fruit liqueurs, English cider brandies, apple gin, apple vodka and apple eaux-de-vie. Fresh apple juice is pressed daily, and an apple-pressing service is offered throughout the late summer and autumn.
- Ringden Farm, London Road, Hurst Green, Etchingham – grow a wide variety of apples. Also cherries, plums, greengages and damsons., quinces and medlars. Produce over 20 varieties of apple juice and offer a juicing service. Sell though farmers markets and juice available through mail order.
- Seddlescombe Biodynamic Wines – also produce dry cider using culinary and dessert apples.
- Tullens Fruit Farm grow wide variety of apples and pears. Fruit is sold from farm shop. Aso produce 5 varieties of apple juice.
- Rentacherrytree . On the Kent/East Sussex border and have 4 cherry orchards in total with approx. 7500 trees. Total of 25 varieities grown. Available from farm shop and from farmers markets in Kent and London. Trees available to rent. Pick your own cherries from your rented tree in an orchard in Northiam (5 varieties available to choose from).
- ‘Apples and Orchards in Sussex‘ by Brian Short, with Peter May, Gail Vines and Anne-Marie Bur
- Batemans, Burwash, Etchingham, East Sussex TN19 7DS – This National Trust property was the home of Rudyard Kipling, and has a wonderful pear alley (pears trained in a long arch) which was designed by him.
- Peter May – fruit tree pruning, planting and orchard advice services.
- West Dean Garden’s apple collection is housed within and around the Walled Garden. There are over 100 varieties of apple and 45 varieties of pear, including heritage varieties with links to West Sussex.