John Gittins (former Executive Director, Cheshire Orchard Project) writes:
“Cheshire is not, in a national context regarded as an area renowned for fruit growing. It does not spring to mind as readily as Kent or Herefordshire, but for all that, Cheshire has a rich history of fruit growing from nursery production to market sales. However, to date we already know of 32 apple cultivars, which have been developed in the County and no doubt there are more. We know very little about varieties of pear but our Cheshire Damson is relished far and wide.
You do not have to travel far in rural Cheshire to appreciate that most of the older farms, small holdings and cottages still have the remains of orchard trees either in the garden hedgerow or in grassy paddocks set close to the house. With large areas of the County containing residential housing dating from the mid-Victorian period through to pre-Second World War, it was common practice to include fruit trees and orchards in the garden landscape schemes, and some of these trees still survive. Fruit evidence is also to be found on Ordnance Survey maps and in field names across the county.
Up to the late 1940s, the large conurbations of Manchester and Liverpool were supplied with much of their fresh fruit from local sources, but in line with the rest of the country, most of the fruit now comes from abroad.
Cheshire orchard groups
To find community orchards local to you, see our community orchard map
This gazeteer is regularly updated. This section currently has no listings, please contact us if you have information to add.
Where to buy trees in the Cheshire
- Heathfield Orchards – grow own apple trees, mainly Cheshire varieties and other heritage apples, mostly on MM106 rootstock. Most of the trees are bare rooted but a number are in pots. Call Katie Lowe on 01244 335059 or 07870 140520 or Pete Tonge on 01244 335059 or 07981 047259
- F.Morrey & Son, Forest Nursery – Cheshire damsons available. Also apples, pears, plums etc. Near Tarporley, Cheshire CW6 0SN, 01829 751342
Where to buy orchard produce in Cheshire
- Willington Fruit Farm – The Farm shop at Willington Fruit Farm is set in the heart of Cheshire surrounded by the Sandstone trail & Delamere Forest. Winsors fruit farm shop is a family run business established over 60 years ago. Our shop sells apples, award winning home pressed apple juice, Winsors Cheshire Dry Cider and all the usual fruit produce. Hillside Farm, Chapel Lane, Willington, Tarporley, Cheshire, CW6 OPH. 01829 751216
- Heathfield Orchards Consultancy – Services offered include orchard management plans, grafting trees to order, planting orchards, formative pruning on young trees, advice on renovating old orchards, grafting workshops. Contact Katie Lowe. 01244 335059 email@example.com
- Orchards, Trees & Orchard Produce, Cheshire information, Orchards and Community Orchards to Visit